Moopler
Razz

Moopler License

Dear Mooplers,

Yesterday I received an email forwarded by my hoster's service abuse team. It is as follows:

Hello.

My name is -redacted- and I am an employee of Invision Power Services, Inc. A website that your company hosts (according to WHOIS information) is infringing on at least one copyright owned by my company.

The site in question is utilizing our software, IP.Board without a legal and valid license.

The unauthorized and infringing material can be found at:

hxxpx : / /www.moopler.net

(IP Address: 51[.]254[.]120[.]151)

This letter is official notification under Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), and we seek the removal of the aforementioned infringing material from your servers. We request that you immediately notify the infringing party of this violation, inform them of their duty to remove the infringing material immediately, and to cease any further posting of infringing material to your server in the future.

We are providing this notice in good faith and with the reasonable belief that rights our company owns are being infringed. Under penalty of perjury I certify that the information contained in the notification is both true and accurate, and I have the authority to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright(s) involved.

To verify the legitimacy of this email, please visit hxxp : / /www.invisionpower.com/legal/piracy/

Should you wish to discuss this with me please contact me directly.

The timing of this cease and desist message is rather poor, as Moopler is steadily growing and more donations have been flowing in lately which would've let to buying a valid license anyway. The most likely outcome of this situation is that I either buy a license or get shut down by my hoster.

I hate to say this, but if anyone was considering donating in the near future now might be a good time. I'll fill the void in donations so that there's enough to pay for the license.

Yours Sincerely,

Razz

• Like 1

I would like to say something about this, if its okay:

If you look into the past of moopler.net you will see, that this community always offered AAA support and AAA hacks. 

Which community does you offer this nowadays, concerning maplestory hacks for ems?

So why dont give a bit back? It doesnt have to be a big amount. Every € or $ will help. :)

cheers,

hippo

Haven't you signed a TOS that says that your host isn't responsible for whatever you do? If that's the case, they won't shut you down, as they don't give a flying fuck what you're doing, since it's not their responsibility.

How much does a license cost?

I will probably donate if you add cool "user ranks" hä hä hä.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hipster said:

A exclusive rank called "Saviour of the Forum" would be awesome.

7 hours ago, Sprux said:

Haven't you signed a TOS that says that your host isn't responsible for whatever you do? If that's the case, they won't shut you down, as they don't give a flying fuck what you're doing, since it's not their responsibility.

I'm not quite sure as I went with a dirt-cheap hosting, that's something I have to look into. My hoster demanded a response with an explaination which steps I took after I received this message.

1 hour ago, Jafel said:

A licence would be €225,00. Of which €103,29 has been donated so far.

I also wonder whether your host would shut you down or just let you get the legal trouble.

Halfway there. Just get @Sprux to donate again. :ohyou:

:justdoit:

They'd probably shut me down as they make little to no money on me.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hipster said:

A exclusive rank called "Saviour of the Forum" would be awesome.

A license is $225, probably ~€200. I'm not too fond of the idea of special ranks as it violates one of the key elements I had in mind for Moopler: Everyone is equal, with the obvious exception of mods and administrators.

isn't DMCA an American thing? I would doubt that a european host would take DMCAs seriously as I thought they ignored them well my host ignores them anyways. 

2 minutes ago, chimera said:

isn't DMCA an American thing? I would doubt that a european host would take DMCAs seriously as I thought they ignored them well my host ignores them anyways. 

It's an american thing but also common for European hosters. International law is often very complicated and hosters rather not deal with cheap-ass mofo's like me :P

• Like 1