Moopler
Sign in to follow this  
lapeiro

Help Again stuck, tried to find answers everywhere

sorry to bother yet again, but i can't find on anywhere else an explanation on the inline asm, as to why :

mov [esp + 0x10],0x09 // is doing mov byte ptr ( it writes C6 instead of C7 on the first bytes )

so it looks like:

C6 44 24 10 09

instead of :

C7 44 24 10 00 00 00 09 // since its moving only the 0x09 byte, and it has to mov the other 3

I tried doing the whole script byte by byte, but its so messy and clunky it doesn't seem right ( or maybe i'm in the wrong here )

ESP is not a "general" data register like eax, ebx, etc..

ESP is supposed to point to the stack (almost always) - some optimizers might (in rare cases) decide to use it anyways for optimization-reasons. However, since it's supposed to be the "only" way to access the stack-data, it's also supposed to allow mutation of stack-variables of all sizes and shapes.

This means that ESP-operations allows both byte, word and dword alignment operators.

• If you wish to move a byte to the stack-member, you'd use:
    • mov [esp+0x10],0x0(like you did above)
    • mov byte ptr [esp+0x10],0x09.
  • If you wish to move a dword to the stack-member, you'd use:
    • mov [esp+0x10],0x00000009
    • mov dword ptr [esp+0x10],0x00000009.

Probably, the compiler tried to "optimize" your solution, by only editting the last byte (since, afterall, you're only setting one byte). The following could also work:

movzx [esp+0x10],0x09

Edited by NewSprux2.0?
  • Like 2

so basically whenever we try to use inline asm on c++, we have to try to be as simple or as descritive as possible so it knows how to compile, i thought about dword, but only executed the "mov [esp+0x10],0x00000009 " with no success, Thank you very much for the insight, this will help me alot for other scripts too