Moopler
db4206910

Feedback your doing good, but..

you guys do a good and this by far my favorite site to go to for my hacking needs i just wish it were more active. as a community we need to (when possible) answer other posters questions, and try to help each other so that those who want to learn have a place to go. instead of trying to go on gk and having script threads that are 100 pages long and what you need is somewhere in it.to end on a good note i think moopler is organized perfectly and the people who do comment for the most part aren't off topic. so lets active up in this son of a b*tch

• Like 1

could not agree more to this. Unfortunetly, most of us are busy with real life, and wont/dont have the time. but im sure if u ask some one might help ;)

i mainly just felt like this had to be said. i get life happens, but if we all try just a little we can do anything... as corny as it sounds!

6 hours ago, db4206910 said:

i mainly just felt like this had to be said. i get life happens, but if we all try just a little we can do anything... as corny as it sounds!

You forget that most people simply don't care anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, db4206910 said:

You got good intentions with your life happens comment, but the core thing is when life does happen people can't simply invest putting the same time, effort, commitment, and amount of care anymore.

The core problem with something like this is all the effort and requests is still placed on the old heads.  If we all just try a little simply means should mean everyone but it really means the same old people contributing. From looking at the script thread and previous AOBs, people easily could of updated but no one did. v191 broke quite of a bit AOBs but its fairly easy to keep track and backtrack from what I'm seeing at the moment.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2018 at 13:04, OuterHaven said:

You got good intentions with your life happens comment, but the core thing is when life does happen people can't simply invest putting the same time, effort, commitment, and amount of care anymore.

The core problem with something like this is all the effort and requests is still placed on the old heads.  If we all just try a little simply means should mean everyone but it really means the same old people contributing. From looking at the script thread and previous AOBs, people easily could of updated but no one did. v191 broke quite of a bit AOBs but its fairly easy to keep track and backtrack from what I'm seeing at the moment.

you are right my intention was not to do that but, to try and encourage other people to give it a try. Maybe it does push it on the same old heads but im gonna try and participate.

feel free to make the decision for yourself most people would ignore this thread entirely. its probably just wishful thinking..

On 1/7/2018 at 16:04, OuterHaven said:

I think the drawback to people posting their own updates in the scripts section is that they either end up making a duplicate post of what they're updating and cluttering up the database, or they will comment on the original post with the new version, but not many bother to check the comments and it ends up being an awkward way of maintaining things anyway

@Razz Maybe allow users to submit their own edits to the original script post and then wait for moderator approval before publishing (to avoid aasdf-type shitposting and whatnot), so sort of in a wiki style

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NORBIN said:

I think the drawback to people posting their own updates in the scripts section is that they either end up making a duplicate post of what they're updating and cluttering up the database, or they will comment on the original post with the new version, but not many bother to check the comments and it ends up being an awkward way of maintaining things anyway

@Razz Maybe allow users to submit their own edits to the original script post and then wait for moderator approval before publishing (to avoid aasdf-type shitposting and whatnot), so sort of in a wiki style

This isn't too bad an idea. Make it so that all scripts are moderator-approved, and that people can post moderator-approved updates to scripts.

This way, if a script already exists, there will be no duplicates across versions, and the latest version specified (and approved by a moderator) will be displayed next to the script.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NORBIN said:

7 hours ago, NewSprux2.0? said:

This isn't too bad an idea. Make it so that all scripts are moderator-approved, and that people can post moderator-approved updates to scripts.

This way, if a script already exists, there will be no duplicates across versions, and the latest version specified (and approved by a moderator) will be displayed next to the script.

I shall look into this.

• Like 1

one problem is that the quantity of people who can make great contributions, that are still active from the scene, are less than a handful. another is that these people are on a level were most learners have trouble comprehending their content. the serious problem is that no learners really put the effort in catching up with those handful of people.

Edited by Taku
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Taku said:

one problem is that the quantity of people who can make great contributions, that are still active from the scene, are less than a handful. another is that these people are on a level were most learners have trouble comprehending their content. the serious problem is that no learners really put the effort in catching up with those handful of people.

+1 on this, I know that I’m not really a known person on moopler but I was here like 1-2 years ago. And it was massive. And I notice from myself that even if I WANT to learn, I usually don’t want to put the effort and time into learning to update for example an AOB when using the PDB. I don’t know man, I’d love to see moopler active again but there’s a different huge forum right now that pretty much has the monopoly on trainers and amount of members.

ps. Can’t force new members to join moopler either

• Thanks 1

The scene has evolved. Computer science as we see it now wasn't this complex a few years ago. Just knowing how things work doesnt make you a successful reverser now. Just like being a Mechanic doesnt make you a Mechanical Engineer. One has to dive into the depth before getting accustomed to reversing. I have seen a lot of people who can write excellent code but has no clue how to efficiently execute a program. Having some level of knowledge in algorithms and data structure is a must for reversers. Also as i have said numerous time before - DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL. Try to read books, articles and do some searches whenever you face a problem. Chance is that someone already has a solution. check the solution, understand how it works and apply it. When I just started reversing, things were blooming back then. I used to gather scripts from earlier versions at 1st and tried to understand them. that was probably around v83. Around v90 there was a PDB leak. AFAIK that was the 1st PDB leak. After spending some time in IDA, things started to make sense. May be you can get benefit that way as well.
There was a time when everything was not so complex. Now even the simplest problems are comparable to the toughest ones from 2000s. My suggestion will be start with the basics and try to read the old articles. Rome wasnt built in a day. Maple kept adding checks and bounds after being ruined by hackers again and again. When you will understand how people used to deal with the problems in early maple, you will start to realize why things are the way they are now. 

6 hours ago, Conquest said:

The scene has evolved. Computer science as we see it now wasn't this complex a few years ago. Just knowing how things work doesnt make you a successful reverser now. Just like being a Mechanic doesnt make you a Mechanical Engineer. One has to dive into the depth before getting accustomed to reversing. I have seen a lot of people who can write excellent code but has no clue how to efficiently execute a program. Having some level of knowledge in algorithms and data structure is a must for reversers. Also as i have said numerous time before - DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL. Try to read books, articles and do some searches whenever you face a problem. Chance is that someone already has a solution. check the solution, understand how it works and apply it. When I just started reversing, things were blooming back then. I used to gather scripts from earlier versions at 1st and tried to understand them. that was probably around v83. Around v90 there was a PDB leak. AFAIK that was the 1st PDB leak. After spending some time in IDA, things started to make sense. May be you can get benefit that way as well.
There was a time when everything was not so complex. Now even the simplest problems are comparable to the toughest ones from 2000s. My suggestion will be start with the basics and try to read the old articles. Rome wasnt built in a day. Maple kept adding checks and bounds after being ruined by hackers again and again. When you will understand how people used to deal with the problems in early maple, you will start to realize why things are the way they are now. 

You overhype it a bit with e.g. "Now even the simplest problems are comparable to the toughest ones from 2000s". This isn't quite true...

However, yes, it is true that the scene has evolved and now presents much more complex security advancements, such as virtualization, heavy anti-cheat routines, etc.

Personally, I believe it is mostly the fact that the newer / younger generation doesn't see much interest in this anymore. I mean MapleStory came around like 2006 - 2012 when most of us were still in our youth. I think the "gay-ming culture" changed so much since then and so have the newer / younger generation's interests. The only people still interested and are keeping this afloat still are usually the older folk like @OuterHaven mentioned. 

As for the complex security advancements: I feel more like it is pretty much the same as 2011-2012. The growth of IDA over the years has been a huge help in making reversing much easier, faster, and socially active. The issue that I think most people find troubling is that most of the information out there to defeat such securities are outdated, vague in the sense that it is a written point - of - concept, people are not looking in the right places, or don't have a clear understanding of what is going on.  
---

Have I ever told the story of XXXX? XXXX was a skilled programmer loved to hack YYYY and make bots and bypasses constantly. XXXX continued to do such tasks from his youthful age of 10 ~ 19 years old. However, at 19, XXXX was sent to college. One year later, XXXX's best friend came around during XXXX's break and asked what XXXX has been doing and if he was still into YYYY. XXXX responded with "ever since I got laid; I stopped caring. I still like the thought of making bots and bypasses and check in every blue moon. However, I found new interests." - a true story.

---

I found this pretty motivating in the past. If anyone wants some words of wisdom listen to Shawn Wilcoxen's [L. Spiro @ memoryhacking.com] interview:
https://youtu.be/2XDtFfl2k9k?t=432

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Ezekiel said:

Personally, I believe it is mostly the fact that the newer / younger generation doesn't see much interest in this anymore. I mean MapleStory came around like 2006 - 2012 when most of us were still in our youth. I think the "gay-ming culture" changed so much since then and so have the newer / younger generation's interests. The only people still interested and are keeping this afloat still are usually the older folk like @OuterHaven mentioned. 

As for the complex security advancements: I feel more like it is pretty much the same as 2011-2012. The growth of IDA over the years has been a huge help in making reversing much easier, faster, and socially active. The issue that I think most people find troubling is that most of the information out there to defeat such securities are outdated, vague in the sense that it is a written point - of - concept, people are not looking in the right places, or don't have a clear understanding of what is going on.  
---

Have I ever told the story of XXXX? XXXX was a skilled programmer loved to hack YYYY and make bots and bypasses constantly. XXXX continued to do such tasks from his youthful age of 10 ~ 19 years old. However, at 19, XXXX was sent to college. One year later, XXXX's best friend came around during XXXX's break and asked what XXXX has been doing and if he was still into YYYY. XXXX responded with "ever since I got laid; I stopped caring. I still like the thought of making bots and bypasses and check in every blue moon. However, I found new interests." - a true story.

---

I found this pretty motivating in the past. If anyone wants some words of wisdom listen to Shawn Wilcoxen's [L. Spiro @ memoryhacking.com] interview:
https://youtu.be/2XDtFfl2k9k?t=432

I disagree. The security complexity of 2011 compared to now is about 1:10

• Haha 1